This weekend, the Texas Yoga Conference hits town at the University of Houston Recreation and Wellness Center. It's like a big party where everyone practices yoga and learns or improves yoga techniques. At the end of the weekend, there will be musical performances by the Desert Dwellers, Tyagaraja, Sean Johnson and Wild Lotus Band.
So we thought it would be good to find out who are the biggest musical yogis.
10. Russell Simmons:Though technically not a musician, he is one of the richest hip-hop moguls in the U.S. Simmons practices Jivamukti Yoga, which encourages vegetarianism in addition to social and environmental activism.
9. Beyonce: In 2007, Beyonce told Seventeen that she takes yoga classes to calm her anxieties.
8. Ke$ha: In 2011, she was spotted on the beaches of Australia in a high-waist bikini doing yoga stretches.
7. Jon Bon Jovi: The Bon Jovi lead singer began practicing yoga in 2011, and it has since become his favorite way to exercise. The rocker told yogaearth.com "I was doing Workout 101 for years: Treadmill, elliptical, weights... Now I'm going to do yoga. I went for my first time, and I enjoyed it. I'm a 21st-Century man. For an old man who has no plastic surgery, still has all his own hair and wears a 30-inch waist, I'm doing okay."
6. Olivia Newton-JohnSoft-rocker Olivia Newton-John not only practices yoga - she also owns her own yoga retreat center in in Byron Bay, Australia: the Gaia Retreat and Spa. She credits meditation for getting her through her fight with breast cancer in 1992.
5. Adam Levine (Maroon 5): Ever wonder how the Maroon 5 lead singer and judge on NBC's The Voice keeps his beautiful physique? He has a yoga instructor named Chad Dennis who travels with Maroon 5 whenever they're touring to help him keep Levine in tip-top shape. However, Dennis doesn't teach only one discipline of yoga. Instead, he puts Levine through many movements that borrow from various disciplines including Ashtanga, Jivamukti, Anusara, Iyengar and Vinyasa.
4. Ricky Martin: Ricky Martin is a hatha yoga practitioner. He uses it to "restore inner peace and relaxation." The form of yoga that he practices is a series of postures that seeks to gain balance of the body and mind. This form of yoga also seeks to free up any subtle spiritual elements as well by way of breathing techniques, asanas, and physical poses. This is the most popular version of yoga.
3. Madonna: Madonna was introduced to yoga by her former boyfriend and trainer, Carlos Leon. She got into yoga so that she could regain the body that she had before she gave birth to her their daughter, Lourdes, back in 1996. She practices a form of yoga known as Ashtanga, which is a self-supervised form of yoga involving six increasingly difficult postures. Her devotion to this yoga form is also shown in her music: On her 1998 album Ray of Light, the song "Shanti/Ashtangi" chants the mantra that is usually said before an Ashtanga yoga class.
2. Lady GagaLady Gaga practices a form of yoga known as Bikram. Bikram, better known as "hot yoga." is practiced in sweltering temperatures of up to 105 degrees. Gaga has been a practitioner of this yoga form since 2004.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Support Our Journalism
1. Sting Sting and his wife, Trudie Styler, are perhaps music's biggest proponents of yoga. The former Police bassist/lead vocalist does his Ashtanga-style yoga routine for about 60-90 minutes before breakfast every day. He has even credited yoga as the key to maintaining his great voice.
Honorable Mention: Alanis Morissette, George Harrison