Attention local musicians, music bloggers and music organizations: have something that should be included in Magnolia City Mixtape? Leave a comment below or email brittanie.shey (at) houstonpress (dot) com.
• Happy Friday! Please enjoy this video from Rocks Off sister blog Backbeat of pint-sized Reggaton artist Mini Daddy.
• Late-breaking HPMA showcase news: The Small Sounds have dropped out due to a family emergency and have been replaced by the Octanes. The Octanes will play at 5:30 p.m. at The Drake, while the Tontons move up and over to 4:35 p.m. at Manor on Washington. Rocks Off has updated our pocket guide to tomorrow's showcase as well.
• Girls Rock Camp starts next Monday. Don't forget to come out to the showcase next Sunday at Walter's to see the next Lita Ford, Lady Gaga or Heart in action.
• Fat Tony (right) blogs about his recent trip to California where he hung out some other musically-inclined friends at a party "that included Andy Dick getting fucked up and escorted out." Live it up, dude.
• The plight of the music licensing exec? No one wants to pay for music anymore. There was the colleague of Baker's who got a letter saying, "Eat you-know-what and die." When she replied to the client, she got another letter, asking, "What part of eat you-know-what and die don't you understand?"
• Disco Green's fall concert line-up is announced, according to 29-95 but we can't find any evidence of it on the Green's actual Web site. Nonetheless, some local favorites will be playing, like Los Skarnales and The Mathletes. You read that correctly, The Mathletes are back together.
• 29-95 also reports that the Literary Greats will be taking a bit of a break after they play our Houston Press Music Awards Showcase tomorrow.
• Houston Calling reports that Drop Trio will be playing their final show next Friday, the 13th. The band hasn;t played in forever, so you might want to catch this last swan song.
• AudioADD recently hung out with the guys from thelastplaceyoulook, who talked about their music writing process and their search for a new drummer.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
• Here is a clip of Miss Leslie performing in France on the French news, which makes us jealous. "Ambiance ouesterne" indeed!
• Broken Record has a piece on how bloggers are being targeted for giving away Radiohead's "free" album online.
• Texas Punk Treasure Chest has a post on Houston's Pain Teens, an experimental rock band from the '80s that were signed to Sub Pop.