In 2012 Houston surprised the hell out of me by producing some truly incredible music videos by local artists. The Manichean took video of the year in our annual roundup, but several other artists made more than respectable showings. Truly, we're finally catching up in that regard.
This almost-past year didn't produce quite as many unspeakably brilliant local gems as last year did, but there were definitely five really top-notch pieces of cinemaudio that deserve to be revisited. So raise a glass, guys, to another round that shows off what H-Town can do. Here's to 2014 being even better.
5. Mike Terror, "Snakes 'N' Fakes" The debut video from our own dark industrial vaudevillian is a raucous club affair full of blood, cleavage, bathroom sex, and a thorough denouncement of all things fake and phony. It's definitely an accomplishment in scope, featuring extras by the score and really pulling of a degenerate atmosphere. As far as first tries go, it proves that Terror has some great potential in film as he does in music.
4. James Caronna, "The Devil Made a Home" I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed 2013's evolution of James Caronna from a forgettable acousti-pop act into something deeper and more hurtful. Following a bad break with his family over Caronna leaving the church, Caronna's music turned darkly inward, and that personal journey resulted in a haunting re-enactment that cemented him as a voice to be reckoned with.
3. Worhol, "The Darkness" Ashley Worhol and the band she founded with her father was a surprise to your humble narrator, who thought he knew every vaguely gothic act in and around Houston. Her spirited, darksome tale of stalkers in the woods set to her groovicilous goth metal was an accidental discovery that landed them the winning spot in our weekly Last VJ column for a solid three weeks in a row.
List Continues on the next page.
2. Featherface, "The Cosmic Draw" Considering that last year's "I Saw Her Dancing" was a strong contender for Video of the Year, it should come as any surprise that Featherface placed high once again. "The Cosmic Draw" is a wonderful vid that explores a non-linear past and future of one young woman as seen through the eyes of her loving husband.
Snapshots of their life in random order reveal everything that wonderful and terrible about the reality of existence, as shows us how we can never realize the way love makes others see us. It's not as good as when they tried to melt a zombie's heart with ballet, but not much is.
1. Two Star Symphony, "The Ninth Level" Jerry Ochoa is the sort of multi-talented artist that Houston can be very proud of. In addition to helping his three string fiends craft the one-of-a-kind classical music that is Two Star's output, he directed this fantastic ghostly tale full of strange hauntings and some fairly impressive special effects. I particularly like when the book on witch burnings comes to life. Little extra touches like that is the reason it's our best local music video of 2013.
ROCKS OFF'S GREATEST HITS
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!