As our sister blog Eating...Our Words does, from time to time Rocks Off will be giving your our picks for the top taverns in various Houston-area neighborhoods. Of course, the lines can be porous, but here anything with a TABC license that cannot reasonably be considered either a restaurant, coffeehouse or live-music venue is fair game.
10. The Spot There's an awesome happy hour, bikes galore, and frozen gadgets in your pitchers of beer to keep it nice and frosty while you're hangin' out by the ocean. What more could you ask for? Onion rings, you say? Oh, well then you're covered. Not only is The Spot famous for their biker bravado, they're also famous for their onion rings. Yeah, beer and onion rings.
3204 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, 409-621-5237, thespotgalveston.com
9. Bryant's Ice House Not only is this Katy biker bar home to events like "Miss Muddy" (we'll let you use your imagination on that one), they're also philanthropists in their own right, raising money for the Wounded Warrior Project with an event sponsored by Wide Open Throttle. Pretty rad for a bar in Katy, no?
It's got a rad little history to it, too. Bryant's started as a body shop, morphed into a body shop/bar hybrid, and has become over time a biker friendly bar, sans body shop, but now with a fire pit! So yeah. That adds to the awesomeness, especially in the winter, when even those leather-clad biker babes can get a bit chilly.
26913 Katy Fwy, 281-394-0152, houstonicehouse.com
8. The Dam Ice House The Dam has already earned a spot on our previous list of the Top Ten Bars on the West Side, but they're just as worthy of their spot on this biker bar list. We'll even give you the same advice. Ladies, make sure you wear a bra to this place. I'm not suggesting you do so for any reason other than to add it to the collection of under-wares left behind by the previous visitors, all of which you'll see flying above your head like a lacy flag across the bar. It's customary at this point, really.
Nothing about this place is traditional at all, and that's what makes it so damn rad. It's a converted old Quick Lube location that is lined with some of the coolest bikes you'll ever see, since most of the patrons and even the owners are avid riders. It's cold beer and biker babes, a traditional biker bar in all senses, but don't let your lack of leather stop you from venturing over. They'll still let your nerdy ass in. Just park the minivan in the back, will ya?
1718 Hwy. 6 S., 281-496-1603, thedamicehouse.com
Biker bars that are too cool for school continues on the next page.
7. The Poop Deck This place is sweet -- it's biker and cyclist friendly -- so anything on two wheels is welcome. Not that they'll turn you away if you pull up in your Prius, mind you, but still. Feel free to ride your chopper over to The Poop Deck, Galveston's long standing biker bar on the seawall.
It's got a dirty pirate feel to it, this place. Imagine all the hijinks those naughty pirates got themselves into over a pint of rum, and now throw in some bikers, and that's what we picture The Poop Deck being. Awesome, right? Yeah, we'll meet you there Saturday. We'll be the nerds on the two wheels with no engine. That's how we roll.
2928 Seawall Blvd, Galveston, 409-763-9151
6. Drifters Icehouse Biker Bar I mean, the name says it all. This place is way on the outskirts of Houston, but it's too definitive of a biker bar to leave off the list. Beers, babes, and badass bikes in Richards, Texas, y'all. Don't let that biker bar moniker intimidate you, though. These guys are legit; they even bought the first round for any military folks, past or present, that rode their hawg (or drove, whatever) out to Richards to hang out on Memorial Day. Makes them seem kinda cuddly, eh? Even with all the leather and scruff.
29293 FM 149, Richards, 936-851-2213
5. Neon Moon Saloon Dudes, this place is rad. It's huge, with an enormous "backyard" and live music all the damn time. How could you pass it up? The drive out to La Porte really isn't all that bad, especially if you're on the back of a motorcycle. Even if you're not, you're still welcome to come hang out and listen to local music or indulge in a "Bloody Mary Salad" or a big ass burger. If you're not hungry, there's plenty of beer and entertainment to keep you slap happy, and we're sure you'll stick around 'til that tummy starts rumblin', anyway.
Oh, and if you drink enough to find yourself a partner, owner Sheryl Brazell is an ordained minister, so maybe she'll cut you a deal on gettin' hitched right there in what the locals have coined as "wonderland." You can ride off into the sunset, tin cans clankin' behind that bike.
1201 S. 16th St., La Porte, 281-471-6366
Biker bars that are too cool for school continues on the next page.
4. Nomad Tavern Yay, another garage door type of bar! We like those. And we like Nomad Tavern, with their live music, home-cooked food, and the biker patrons who frequent it. You can bring your own booze, which is obviously always freakin' sweet, but be sure to do them a solid and pick up your mixers from their bartenders, will ya? This place has earned itself a ton of regulars over the years, but you're still welcome to join in on the biker party. It won't be long before they'll all know your name, too.
2133 Bingle, 713-468-0020, facebook.com/nomadtavern
3. Woody's Beach Bar Huge patio, live music, darts, pool tables, cheap drinks, and tons of friendly patrons, the majority of whom are bikers. It's a little bar on the beach, and it's awesome, with the sea air blowing across that giant patio while you watch the bikes -- or the waves -- roll in, and jam out to the jukebox or the band. Your pick. Oh, and try the "Liquid Cocaine" drink, cause, well, yes. It's one of the reasons we like Galveston so much.
11149 Termini-San Luis Pass Rd, Galveston, 409-740-6969
2. Bimbo's Beer & Bar-B-Q Bimbo's has topped our list of biker bars before, and it's still up there with the best of 'em. The front porch is only a bit of what you'll get when you venture into Bimbo's, which -- as we've said before -- doesn't even serve Bar-B-Q. But who needs to, when you've got some of the raddest bikers and bikes in the city hangin' out at your establishment? Come for the beer, stay for the graffiti and the company of what are soon to be some dear old biker friends.
16718 Hufsmith-Kohrbille Rd, 281-370-3037, bimbosbar.com
Find out who took the top spot on the next page.
1. The HawgStop Bar This hog heaven is home to some crazy good live music, killer BBQ, and a massive space to hang out and knock back a few beers while admiring the view...of the bikes, of course. Seriously, this place is insane. The food is great, the crowd is friendly as hell, and the owner makes sure to do his part for the community, both by hosting some really awesome live acts and by holding BBQ benefits on the regular. Bad Company even played here a few years back. Yeah, I know. It's your new hangout...once your wife lets you get that bike you've been eying, that is.
11335 Sheldon Rd, 281-456-7867, hawgstop.com
ROCKS OFF'S GREATEST HITS
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism