It's hard to believe 2011 is almost over, and that the year of the Mayan Apocalypse is fast approaching. We're taking this time of soul searching and retrospection to look back at the most popular posts of the past 12 months, in the hopes that you might relive the fun times again.
10. 12 Odd Bikini Pictures: A Haiku Tribute: We went looking for bikini pictures, and on Flickr's Creative Commons page found many from something called The Bikini Open. A dozen of them cried out for glorification via haiku, so we had little choice but to go all 5-7-5 on them.
9. Amanda Billiris: Police, Relatives Say She Spent Turkey Day Raping 15-Year-Old Relative: Billiris, 23, was charged with second-degree felony sexual assault, punishable by two to 20 years in prison. Relatives caught Billiris having sexual intercourse with the 15-year-old relative.
8. Drought Photos: Apocalyptic Scenes From Sugar Land: Local photographer Barry Sigman snapped photos of what was to become our summer from hell.
7. Charlie Sheen: A Guide to His Porn Stars (Some Are From Texas!): Remember when people were like really, really into Charlie Sheen?
6. Five of the Most Disgusting Marathon Pictures Ever: Marathoners, apparently, can get in such a zone they ignore all the signals their body is sending them to take a break.
5. Apollo 14 Splashed Down 40 Years Ago Today: Six Odd Things About It: Since there were no dancing-on-the-edge, death-defying, dramatic escapes on this one, the mission is largely lost to history. It did get NASA back on track, of course, and paved the way for as many additional moon landings as the budget could afford (three). But there were some oddities attached to Apollo 14. Here are six.
4. 50 Reasons Texas Is the Best State in America: Our response to Gawker's 50 Worst States in America.
3. Texas Judge William Adams Allegedly Beating Daughter: Horrifying Video: The Internet blew up with a video allegedly posted by the daughter of an Aransas County judge that she says shows him beating her.
2. Heather Daughdrill: Busted for Sexing Teen Boy She Met at Bible Camp (w/ Video): Louisiana police said she repeatedly had sex with a 13-year-old boy who she met at the Bible camp where she was a teacher/aide.
1. Joan Ginther, Serial Lottery Winner: Lucky Or a Genius Who Gamed the System?: The lottery said she had just gotten lucky, but one expert thinks she might have figured out how to game the system in a completely legal way.
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.