Check out all our pics from last night's inaugural Houston Web Awards.
Bun B was a busy man last night. If you check the Houston Twitterverse's timelime from about 7 p.m. to 11 p.m., you'll probably see dozens of pictures of him posing with Houston's best and brightest in social media, all of them taken at the first Houston Web Awards.
Last night, Web Awards winners and internet friends gathered at Momentum Audi to accept their prizes, meet one another face-to-face and to party with some of Houston's biggest movers and shakers in online media. Awards were presented by the Houston Press staff, special guest Fat Tony, High Tech Texan Michael Garfield, the Geek Radio guys of Technology Bytes, and a tag team of Houston Roller Derby girls (plus one ref). Awards were given out for categories like Best Use of Facebook to Promote A Personal Brand, Best Use Of Video in Food and Best Photo. (You can see all the 2011 Web Award winners in our cover story.)
One of the Eatsie Boys, accepting their award for Best Food Truck Twitterer, shouted into the mike, "Viva la food truck revolution!"
Jenny Lawson, who was unable to accept the Blog Post Of The Year award for her gift card-trading post that basically saved Christmas, enlisted the help of friend Imelda Bettinger, who rushed the stage to yell "Wolverines!" for some reason, at Lawson's request.
Which helps illustrate what's so cool, and sometimes frustrating, about the internet. Last night gave many people the chance to meet friends they'd only previously known online. But some people prefer not to be known in person, and the internet also gives us the ability to connect to anyone, no matter how far away we are. For example, our winners for Best Sex Blog, Gentle Nibbles, are an anonymous couple, and thus opted not to attend the ceremony. And one of the guys behind Best Sports Blog, Timothy De Block of Crawfish Boxes, actually lives in South Carolina. His fellow blog editor David Coleman accepted for the both of them.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
But see -- thanks to the internet even the people who couldn't be there could still share in the fun. Here are our favorite tweets from last night's Houston Web Awards, a.k.a. #HWA:
- @HouWebAwards #hwa highlight: @HighTechTexan teaching me how to properly eat a cupcake pop! http://instagr.am/p/GssNf/ -- @MissJennyKelley
- Houston is the best city in the world! Congrats to all of tonight's winners of the Houston Web Awards! #HWA #Chicagosucks -- @wheresmuffy
- There were a few guys I saw at #HWA that I once dated, some I wish I had, handful of their ex's that wish I hadn't, & a couple w/ potential. -- @AllisonHiromi
- The@gunsandtacos planking. The @CraigHlavaty conquering. http://twitpic.com/5jbk0p -- @kylejack
- seems like I missed a pretty epic awards party for the inaugural @houwebawards Congrats to all the winners #hwa -- @marc1919
Check out the video below to see what you missed.