In the Line of Fire

Page 2 of 6

Two days later, journalists from both national and local TV, relying on unsubstantiated rumors, falsely accused McLemore of setting up ATF agents by tipping off the Davidians to the raid. What should have been the story that catapulted him into a major media market became a death sentence that finished him off professionally. Despite being nominated for an Emmy Award for the story, no other station would hire him, and he was stuck in Waco at the dead end of his career.

Essentially branded an accomplice in the murder of the four agents, he was left with only one way to restore his reputation. He turned to the courts for relief, suing the two media outlets -- WFAA-Channel 8 in Dallas and the Houston Chronicle -- who he claimed had defamed him. After years of legal wrangling, the courts ruled against him in September, holding that by doing his job, he lost his status as a newsman and became a newsmaker. For libel purposes, he was no longer a private person but became a public figure.

And the story that he broke ultimately broke him.
John McLemore can't remember a time he didn't want to be a journalist. After graduating from high school in Houston, he attended Stephen F. Austin College for a year and hoped to become a newspaper reporter. With his clean-cut good looks and affable manner, one of his professors suggested he would be a natural in broadcast journalism. He transferred to the University of Texas and almost immediately snagged a coveted paid internship in the Austin bureau of Dallas's WFAA-TV(Channel 8).

Mentored by the well-respected political reporter and Austin bureau chief Carol Kneeland, McLemore worked as an intern for two years, spending all his weekends and vacations at the station. The first in his class to be hired, McLemore landed a job at the Temple bureau of Waco's KWTX-TV and commuted there on weekends until graduation. A year later, he was transferred back to Waco, where he worked first as a sports reporter, and then as a general-assignment reporter. At the same time, he attended Baylor University and received his master's degree in rhetoric and mass communications.

Tall and slender with the sharp features that are perfect for television, McLemore had a commanding on-air presence. "He was spunky and had an attitude -- he wouldn't take no for an answer," remembers cameraman Mulloney. "He had a good voice and was a good writer and reporter."

As a general-assignment reporter, he covered the typical gamut of stories, from murder and mayhem to the quirky feature. And he had a flair for them all. In an award-winning investigative story he did on police brutality in Marlin, Texas, he discovered that several of the officers had been fired from other departments for excessive force. He brought a sense of whimsy to another piece he did on a high school football player who led the marching band at half-time.

The traditional career path for ambitious and talented broadcast journalists is an itinerant one and begins in small cities like Waco, which has a population of about 100,000. After a few years, they move to either a mid-size city or a major market like Dallas. If they're lucky and exceptionally good, they'll make it to the networks. McLemore had paid his dues in Waco and was hoping to leave. All he needed was a big story. He thought he found it at the Mt. Carmel siege and wasn't about to let go of it.

That's why he and his colleagues remained at the scene, sleeping in shifts, not daring to leave the vicinity of the compound for fear of missing any fast-breaking news. Late on the second night of the standoff, someone from his station beckoned him to a trailer, where a TV was tuned in to ABC's Nightline.

"You're not going to like what you see," the reporter warned him.
McLemore watched in sickening disbelief as Houston Chronicle reporter Kathy Fair told Ted Koppel that the ATF was blaming the local media for what went wrong during the raid.

In response to Koppel's question about the media's role in the tragedy, Fair said: " ... [ATF agents] think they were set up ... by at least one reporter and, perhaps, a local law enforcement official ... They were aware of the raid, tipped off the sect about it, and that is how they got permission to be on the grounds before federal agents arrived."

KEEP THE HOUSTON PRESS FREE... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Ann Zimmerman