In case you hadn't heard, the iPad 2 comes out very, very soon. Geeks are already lining up.
We hate to pour cold water on such a momentous event, but frankly, what's the big deal about an iPad 2? As these five examples from a 1971 Sears catalog show, it's all been done before.
5. Watch movies!! You can watch awesomely detailed movies on your iPad? Stop bragging: Entertainment doesn't get much more hi-def than this thing. (Caution: Don't use on a bumpy road.)
4. TALKING View-Master technology: Unavailable on the iPad This baby probably has THX sound, and it was 3-D decades before Avatar.
3. Who needs mp3s? Not only does this offer 33 rpm AND 45 rpm AND AM radio, it includes "separate tone and volume controls." It takes four D batteries, which alone probably weigh as much as 80 iPads.
2. More storage than your iTunes can dream of "You can really stack up the records on the full-size changer," the ad says. And believe us, there is no better way to preserve vinyl than by plopping records onto one another. We're also curious about exactly which "10 popular 45-rpm records" you would get for your extra dollar. All timeless hits, we're sure.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Recording technology Sure, you can record stuff on your iPad, but check out this sleek, modern portable wonder. (Note: That huge silver thing is a "knob.") And all for the unbelievably low price of $25, which in today's dollars is about $135!