Okay, I know, I know, I hadanother crappy weekend
last week. Live with it. I know I'm learning to. When your record is 58-86, all that you can do is just live with it. And this week brings a slate of games that are just, for lack of a better word, BLAH.
That said, let's get on with my picks.
1. The Texans are actually favored by 1 point over the Saints. I know the game's in Houston. And I know the Saints have been either very good this season, or very bad. And I know the Saints lost last week to the previously winless Rams. I know all of that. Just like I know that Andre Johnson's healthy and ready to play. And, supposedly, so is Ahman Green. But I'm saying that Reggie Bush haunts the Texans just like Vince Young has done in games past. Take the Saints.
2. The Cowboys are picked to beat the Redskins by 10.5 points. The Cowboys tore the Giants apart. And the Redskins somehow found a way to blow a game in which Jason Campbell actually threw some TD passes. But the point spread is just too big for this big rivalry game. Take the Skins to get within 10 points.
3. The Bengals are favored by 3 points over the Cards. I know this game's in Cincy. And I know that the Bengals have a supposed high-power offense. But the Bengal defense stinks and this could just be what is needed to return Kurt Warner to his glory days. Take the Cards.
4. The new Browns are favored by 3 points over the original Browns. I just don't like the Ravens. I just can't get into this team. I think the defense is overrated. And there's just something to the Browns, and about how they seem to be showing life. Take the Browns.
5. The Packers are supposed to beat the Panthers by 10 points. I know, Testaverde's the Carolina QB. And the Pack has Brett Favre. But Favre's due for one of those games of his where he throws 6 interceptions. The Pack still wins, of course, but the score will be closer than 10 points. So take the Panthers.
6. The Colts are favored by 14.5 points over the Chiefs. The Colts have lost 2 straight. Dwight Freeney's out for the season. Marvin Harrison might still not be ready to play. I know the Chiefs aren't that good. And I know the Colts probably just want to pull a Patriots on somebody, but I don't see it here. The Colts just need to win and keep everyone happy, so there'll be no Patriot piling on. Take the Chiefs to get within two touchdowns.
7. The Jags are favored by 3 over the Chargers. The Chargers haven't had much like against teams with good running games. And a good running game is about the only thing the Jaguars have. Take the Jaguars.
8. The Vikings are 5.5 point favorites over the Raiders. The Raiders are bad. They did lose to the Texans after all. But the Vikings have no QB, and now, with the Purple Jesus injured, the Vikings don't have a running game. Take the Raiders.
9. The Patriots are favored by 15.5 points over the Bills. Yesterday, a little voice was telling me to take the Bills. Then a louder voice told me that Marshawn Lynch is injured and will miss the game. So take the Patriots.
10. The Giants are favored by 3 points over the Lions. The Giants blew it with the Cowboys last week. Is it time for the Giants to start their annual second-half of the season fade? And sure, the Lions haven't beaten any real good teams this season, but I think God wants Kitna to win this week. Take the Lions.
11. The Eagles are favored by 10 points over the Dolphins. The Dolphins will have a new QB this week. Not that he's that good, but he is new. And Ricky Williams has been reinstated by the NFL, but he won't be back with the Dolphins until next week. And it is probably a good idea to keep Williams away from the drug emporium run by Eagles coach Andy Reid. Take the Dolphins to get within 10 points.
12. The Steelers are favored by 9 points over the Jets. The Steelers are going to pull a Patriots on the Jets. Take the Steelers. By a lot.
13. The Seahawks are 6 point favorites over the Bears. Does anyone outside of Chicago and the Pacific Northwest care about this game? Well, except for them and the gamblers. The sex cannon may be at QB for Chicago, but he's not enough. Take the Seahawks.
14. The Rams are 3 points favorites over the Niners. Take the Rams. That's all there is to say.
15. The Bucs are favored by 3 points over the Falcons. YAWN! Is this game over yet? Take the Bucs.
16. The Broncos are 2 point favorites over the Titans. I'm keeping with my tradition of pissing off my Broncos-loving brother. So take the Titans. – John Royal
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.