Davy Jones, lead singer of The Monkees, died today at 66.
He never outgrew the manufactured pop-band thing, but he made a nice living out of it and came to grips with his career.
A career which had some oddities, such as:
5. He got started on the British equivalent of Broadway Jones wasn't the rebellious art-school student that seemed to be the mold for British rock stars. Instead he was a child actor, and got his big break as the Artful Dodger in Oliver!
4. He was on the Ed Sullivan show for the Beatles' debut Jones and the rest of the cast appeared on the Sullivan show, the same night the Beatles set America aflame.
"I watched the Beatles from the side of the stage, I saw the girls going crazy, and I said to myself, this is it, I want a piece of that."
3. He gave us David Bowie David Jones had to change his name because Davy Jones got there first, so he became David Bowie.
2. He spoke for all Caucasians In the movie mess that was Head, a critic and Jones had this exchange: The Critic: That song was pretty white. Davy Jones: So am I; what can I tell you?
1. Your kids probably know him Or at least his voice. Jones provided voices for SpongeBob SquarePants, Phineas and Ferb and a Scooby-Doo movie.
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.