Southwest Airlines is busy with the final preparations for their new service into Newark Liberty Airport.
As a native of the Garden State -- one who grew up only a few miles from Newark Airport -- we're here to help.
Five tips for the airline:
5. Offer a shuttle bus from the airport to Rutt's Hut No, wait -- don't offer it, make it mandatory. There are no better hot dogs in the world. And if New Jersey cuisine is about anything, it's pizza and hot dogs. (Visitors can arrange their own transportation to the Park Tavern in East Rutherford for the pizza part of the equation.)
4. Zubaz for everyone Before deplaning in New Jersey, passengers will be required to don Zubaz (yes, still). Don't worry, no one will notice.
3. Bruce won't let you use a song for your ads This does not mean you should go with Bon Jovi. Take it from us.
2. Throw in the stray "fuckin'" into the flight attendant announcements "In the event of a fuckin' loss of cabin pressure...." You get the idea.
1. Please, load up on the Sopranos references We can see the ads or the in-house promotion parties now: Herb Kelleher makes a surprise comeback dressed as Tony Soprano, various VPs walk around like Paulie Walnuts or Silvio, you're gonna whack high airfares, etc., etc. Please do this. Absolutely nothing could go wrong.
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.