Sean Avery of the NHL's Dallas Stars was suspended for an indefinite period by the NHL on Tuesday for comments he made in Calgary on Tuesday. Speaking to reporters, he made a comment about several players dating his "sloppy seconds." And I know most of you in Houston would rather talk high school football than hockey, so you probably wouldn't know that Avery's "sloppy seconds" include Kim Bauer and Stacy's Mom, who's got it going on.
And that got me to thinking. Lots of athletes date beautiful and famous women, and usually, the woman has dated somebody else famous before she dates the athlete. So I did some looking around, and as a result, I'm going to present you with ten other instances of what Avery called "sloppy seconds."
10. Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Hank Baskett is engaged to Kendra Wilkinson, who was with Hugh Hefner before she hooked up with Bassett.
9. Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Brad Penny dated actress Alyssa Milano several years ago. But before she hooked up with Penny, Milano dated then-Oakland A's pitcher Barry Zito.
8. Milano dated Zito after she finished with then-Florida Marlins pitcher Carl Pavano.
7. Ladies man and overrated New York Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter is currently dating Friday Night Lights actress Minka Kelly. But before Jeter, Kelly dated singer John Mayer.
6. Miami Heat star Dwayne Wade is dating actress Gabrielle Union who previously dated Jeter.
5. Cyclist Lance Armstrong was formerly engaged to singer Sheryl Crow, who had previously hooked up with rock god Eric Clapton.
4. Armstrong also briefly dated Ashley Olsen, who had previously dated actor Jared Leto.
3. New England Patriots QB Tom Brady is currently involved with supermodel Gisele Bundchen. But before Brady, Gisele dated actor Leonardo DiCaprio.
2. New York Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez is currently involved with Madonna, who is divorcing director Guy Ritchie and has, in the past, been involved with athletes like Dennis Rodman and Jose Canseco.
1. Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is involved with Jessica Simpson who was previously married to Nick Lachey.
-- John Royal
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.