The Good Doctor

Page 6 of 8

Brown would deny that he had beat his wife, and claimed she was the aggressor who attacked him with the strength of a "wild woman" and tried to shoot him. In his scenario, the doctor repeatedly wrestled the gun away from his wife after she fired the shots.

"The bedpost broke," Brown told Tommy Fibich, Darlina's lawyer. "I dropped the bedpost, turned around. She says, 'I'm going to kill you, you son of a bitch. I'm going to kill you, you motherfucker.' "

Brown claims he struck her in self-defense but she kept grabbing the gun from him. "The same thing happens again and again, about six times through the house, with her crashing into furniture."

The sequence was hard to reconcile with some of the evidence. Darlina had called police from inside the bedroom, and the shots had been fired from outside it. And then there was the series of recorded 911 calls with Mrs. Brown's terrorized voice pleading for help.

Darlina says he left only after she shouted through the door that she'd summoned police. Montgomery County deputies arrested Brown at a nearby shopping center parking lot. He smelled of alcohol and was out of control, according to the officers. Inside his vehicle, they found a cache of guns and illegal knives.

Darlina was delivered by ambulance to a hospital.

"My daughter didn't even look like my daughter," says Linda Muras of Darlina. "It was awful what he did to her. It's unspeakable, especially her being pregnant. It's a wonder she didn't lose the baby."

After spending most of the next month in bed, Darlina gave birth prematurely to Layla. So far, the rocky entry into the world has had no visible effect on the ten-month-old child.

The baby's father, released on $50,000 bail, was indicted for aggravated assault. He left for a monthlong stay at the Sierra psychiatric and substance abuse rehab center in Tucson, Arizona.

The surgeon had amassed several experts to help him with his mounting legal problems. They included attorneys Rocket Rosen, Earle Lilly and Michael Sharp and psychiatrist George Glass, who had treated Brown.

And one order of business, even from the Sierra rehab center, was a lengthy letter from the doctor to what he termed his "dream team." Brown thanked Rosen for springing him from jail a day early. Glass was lauded "as the cornerstone and conduit for translating my experience here to something beneficial to me legally and medically."

Brown's letter acknowledges "intense shame, guilt, sadness, and hurt for my actions leading up to and including what I did to my wife who I dearly love and still do.

"There are no good excuses, for I am accountable."

However, what sound like excuses begin in the next sentence. Brown, "for legal reasons," cites a drugged drink and a theft of $2,000 the night of the beating. "My actions en route and in the home and loss of memory are all indicative of an hallucinogenic drug for which the police would not test me despite my repeated insistence."

That loss of memory was later replaced by a detailed account of his wife's alleged "attack."

Brown reminds his attorneys of his goals. He wants his felony charges reduced to prevent revocation of his medical license. He seeks unlimited access to his daughters and reconciliation with his wife. And Brown also wants his Bentley, his Ferrari and his golf clubs taken to his Houston condo to await his release. To take care of all that, he suggests getting an appropriate letter from the hospital director.

"Remember," notes the doctor, "Sierra Tucson is a business."

He needn't have worried, at least about keeping his medical privileges.

Three months later, the Houston Northwest Medical Center Credentials Committee requested a medical opinion on Brown's application for reappointment to their medical staff. Committee chairman Gary Urano noted that Brown spent time in a rehab center followed by treatment from a psychiatrist. Hospital officials wanted assurances that he had completed the therapy, and the panel wanted answers to several questions. They needed to know if Brown's treating psychiatrist had seen his patient exhibit any behavior as the result of physical, mental, alcohol or drug impairment that might interfere with the exercise of his clinical privileges.

On May 17 Brown's medical staff forwarded Urano's letter to Glass, Brown's psychiatrist, with a note that "you must call Michael Sharp…He would like to discuss the report with you."

KEEP THE HOUSTON PRESS FREE... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Tim Fleck
Contact: Tim Fleck