The Houston Press is moving offices this weekend. We've been located at 1621 Milam Suite #100 for the past 15 years and a lot has certainly changed. Moving from the Galleria area off of the West Loop to Downtown was a pretty big deal in 1998. Downtown Houston was just beginning its rebirth, long before the light rail, before Midtown was considered Midtown and when Metro buses still operated up and down Main Street.
Built in 1927, the Houston Press building was originally the home of Shelor Motor Company and later Gillman Pontiac in the 1960s. The historic building itself hasn't changed much. Its signature 50 x 240 foot mural that wraps around two sides of the building was painted by artist Suzanne Sellers in 1994. The trompe l'oeil mural can be seen from Milam, Leeland and Travis Streets.
Story continues on next page.
The original glass windows remained on the building's second and third floors until 2010, when they were replaced with energy-efficient storm windows. While Hurricane Ike battered the Galveston coast, the office suffered significant water damage when water flowed from the roof parking area into the suites below.
Check out our video on how the Houston Press rebuilt after Hurricane Ike:
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Don't worry, our move won't affect the weekly delivery of the Houston Press to your favorite newsstand.
Our new address will be 2603 La Branch Street, Houston TX 77004 and the phone number hasn't changed. 713-280-2400
And tune in next week as we update from our new digs.