Another week of college football by the wayside, so it’s time for another version of my Top 25 College Football rankings. You can find the rankings from the Associated Press and USA Todayhere
1. Oklahoma Sooners (1) (5-0): Baylor didn’t stand a chance last week as Sam Bradford tuned up his passing arm for this week’s Red River Rivalry. The Sooners are the class of the country so far this season, and it’s hard to see Texas beating them.
2. Missouri Tigers (3) (5-0): They defeated Nebraska, in Nebraska, for the first time in 30 years last week. Chase Daniel and Sam Bradford are probably the class of the Big 12 QBs. They’ve got a big challenge this week as they take on the undefeated Oklahoma State Cowboys.
3. Texas Longhorns (5) (5-0): That’s right, I’ve got three Big 12 teams in the top three spots. Maybe it’s because I see more Big 12 football since that I’m here in Texas, but these three teams have been really impressive this year. Of course, Texas has Oklahoma this weekend, so I think their ranking will be dropping next week.
4. LSU Tigers (4) (5-0): They had a bye last week, and I see no reason to move them down in the rankings.
5. Alabama Crimson Tide (2) (6-0): Struggled to defeat Kentucky 17-14 last week in their first game after their stunning and convincing upset of Georgia. They’ve got the bye this week.
6. Texas Tech Red Raiders (7) (5-0): Until someone or something convinces me otherwise, I’m going with the Big 12 as the best conference in football this season. Tech had another convincing win last week, and they’re playing Nebraska this week for what should be win number six on the season.
7. Brigham Young Cougars (6) (5-0): This non-BCS conference school is easily handling all of its competition. Unless something happens, they should end up playing in one of the BCS Bowl games.
8. Vanderbilt Commodores (9) (5-0): Vandy is 5-0 for the first time since 1943 after their 14-13 win over Auburn last week. This is definitely the triumph of the brains over brawn.
9. Utah Utes (8) (6-0): They struggled to defeat Oregon State last week, but should easily handle Wyoming this week. If things break right, they should also be the running for a BCS Bowl game.
10. Oklahoma State Cowboys (12) (5-0): Five Big 12 teams in the Top 10. The Cowboys beat the Aggies by 28 points last week. Their game with Missouri on Saturday could be one of the best offensive showcases of the season.
11. Penn State Nittany Lions (11) (6-0): They easily handled Purdue last week, and they’ve got a slumping Wisconsin this weekend.
12. Boise State Broncos (13) (5-0): They beat Louisiana Tech last week, and they’ve got Southern Mississippi this week. I think some of the teams ahead of them will lose this week, so Boise State might move up a bit.
13. Southern California Trojans (14) (4-1): They took out their loss to Oregon State on Oregon. And I wouldn’t want to be Arizona State this week. By the end of the season, we’ll probably be saying that USC is the best school in the country and should be playing in the BCS Title Game.
14. Georgia Bulldogs (15) (4-1): They had the bye week last weekend, so that probably gave them some time to lick their wounds. And Tennessee should be just the right team to give Georgia back their confidence.
15. Florida Gators (15) (4-1): They beat up on Arkansas last week, and if the Gators can defeat LSU this week, they should be able to restore some of their luster.
16. Ohio State Buckeyes (23) (5-1): They beat Wisconsin last week and get Purdue this week. Ohio State will probably be 6-1 come this time next week.
17. Texas Christian Horned Frogs (18) (5-1): San Diego State felt the wrath of TCU from their loss to Oklahoma. And Colorado State will probably face a thumping this week.
18. Kansas Jayhawks (21) (4-1): They struggled to defeat Iowa State last week, and will probably struggle with Colorado this week.
19. South Florida Bulls (10) (5-1): The biggest dropper of the week, the Bulls saw their BCS hopes probably crushed for good with last week’s loss to Pittsburgh. They’ve got this weekend off.
20. Virginia Tech Hokies (24) (5-1): They had a pretty easy time of it with Western Kentucky last week, and get this weekend off.
21. California Golden Bears (NR) (4-1): They beat Arizona State last week, and have the bye this week.
22. Northwestern Wildcats (NR) (5-0): They had a bye last week, but move into the rankings because of their perfect record. They’ve got the Michigan State Spartans this weekend.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
23. Michigan State Spartans (NR) (5-1): They defeated Iowa last week, and they take on the other new arrival to the rankings, Northwestern, this weekend.
24. Oregon Ducks (16) (4-2): They lost to the Trojans, a ranked team, so I’m not going to punish them and drop them all of the way out of the rankings. This week, at least.
25. North Carolina Tarheels (NR) (4-1): Upset Connecticut last week to enter the ranks. Leaving the rankings are Wisconsin, who lost to Ohio State; Auburn, who were defeated by Vanderbilt; Air Force, who lost to Navy; and Connecticut, who lost to North Carolina.
-- John Royal