I’d like to thank Richard Connelly for grilling thenew president of the University of Houston, Renu Khator
. As a proud 1988 graduate of the UH Honors Program (nowHonors College
), I of course keep up with all things Cougar-related. So it disappointed me that Dr. Khator did relatively poorly with Connelly’s pop quiz – though I have to admit that I didn’t know who Lynn Eusan was either.
That said, I have come up with a few more questions with which to quiz Dr. Khator. I’ll give you the question, you fill in the blank. The answers will be at the bottom, so no peeking.
1. How many former Bond Girls have taught in the school’s drama department? For extra credit, name the actress(es), the title of the movie(s), and give the character name(s).
2. Forget Julian Schnabel (that was a bit too esoteric). How many Oscar-nominated actors have attended the school’s drama department? For extra credit, name the actor(s), and give the title of the nominated film(s).
3. This graduate of the Law School is currently best known for feuding with Barbara Walters. For extra credit, what is the source of the current feud?
4. This former classmate of mine was a candidate for President of the United States in 2004. For extra points, name the party he was candidate of.
But enough of those, let’s get to sports.
5. What former student and Olympic Gold Medalist is perhaps now better known for his botched rendition of the National Anthem?
6. What insufferable sports broadcaster has released a book about the grueling punishment involved with doing play-by-play for the Super Bowl, the NCAA Men’s Basketball Final Four, and The Masters in one year?
7. This undergrad and law school graduate is currently best known as the agent of Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte.
8. The University of Houston baseball program has produced how many Cy Young Award winners? For extra credit, name the winner(s), and give the team(s).
9. Former Cougar football coach Bill Yeoman is often attributed with creating what offense?
10. The Cougar basketball program helped to push NCAA basketball into the national television limelight by playing a regular season game at the Astrodome. This is a multiple-part question. What school did the Cougars play? Who was the Cougar coach? Who was the opposition coach?
2. One. Randy Quaid, The Last Detail.
4. David Cobb. The Green Party.
5. Carl Lewis.
6. Jim Nantz.
7. Randy Hendricks.
8. One. Doug Drabek. Pittsburgh Pirates.
9. The Veer.
10. UCLA. Guy V. Lewis. John Wooden.
18-21 Points: You remember when the Cougars had a real cougar for a mascot.
13-17 Points: You drove in for a few classes over a ten-year period.
9-12 Points: You refer to the place as Cougar High.
4-8 Points: You were rejected by Cougar High.
0-3 Points: You were rejected by Cougar High and went to Texas instead.
-- John Royal
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.