Here on Eating Our Words, the commenters absolutely make the blog, and our Comment of the Day honors the best of the bunch.
Every day, we read you guys and pick the commenter, or commenters, who made us laugh, cry, salivate over something delicious, or think about things in a new way.
In return, we offer them a virtual White Russian.
Today Brooke Viggiano wrote about her favorite restaurant freebies, and we heard from the apparent godfather of lagniappe himself.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Great post Brooke. I have a Project where I'm collecting 1,001 examples of marketing lagniappe. I just included your 5 examples as numbers #919-923. Food is a natural for what I call a Purple Goldfish.
My favorites in the Project are as follows: 1. Five Guys Burger & Fries (National) - free peanuts and bonus fries
2. Izzy's Ice Cream (St. Paul) - with each scoop, you get a free mini scoop called an Izzy
3. Toy Boat (SFO) - buy a pint of ice cream to go and they throw in a couple of cones
4. Besito (Long Island) - they hand out churros and Guatemalan 'worry dolls' at the end of the meal
5. Lolita (Boston) - the extra at this Tequila joint is cotton candy. Sweet!
6. Pot Belly Sandwiches (Chicago) - each drink comes with a straw that has a mini chocolate chip cookie on it
7. Caribou Coffee (National) - a chocolate espresso bean with every coffee
8. Alligator Lounge (NYC) - free pizza with every beer. Not a slice, a wood oven cheese pie
9. Stripsteak (Vegas) - sinful french fries cooked in duck fat with 3 types of dipping
'The longest and hardest nine inches in marketing is the distance between the brain and the heart of your customer'
Don't know about you, EOW Nation, but we think Houston needs its own version of the Izzy...