Houston Restaurant Weeks is coming this August. But before you budget all your dining dollars to that worthy cause, remember that an equally worthy one is going on this week: The GO TEXAN Restaurant Round-Up.
Each year, the GO TEXAN Restaurant Round-Up features restaurants across the state cooking special dishes with Texan products, from pecans to goat cheese, from tomatoes to steak. And for every GO TEXAN meal you purchase, these participating restaurants donate money to food banks in their own cities. Here in Houston, it's the Houston Food Bank, which -- combined with the money raised during Houston Restaurant Week -- should be looking at a much-needed monetary donation rolling into their coffers this summer.
But before that can happen, you need to participate. And here are the Houston restaurants in which you can GO TEXAN through July 27, along with a few of their all-Texas specials:
Brennan's of Houston
- Soup: Coplin Farms Honey Butternut Squash Soup with all-spice crème fraiche and cayenne pepitas
- Appetizer: "Liver and Onions" with cast iron seared foie gras, Texas Moscato, five onion biscuit bread pudding and sauce soubise
- Entrée: Jumbo Lump Blue Crabcakes with sweet corn and fall onion cream, mirlitons and Wood Duck Farm pea shoots
- Texas Wine List: Messina Hof: Paulo Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and Red Meritage.
- Texas Meal: Gulf shrimp or duck breast with Friona zucchini pancakes. Chilled Friona cucumber soup or a salad featuring watermelon from the Valley. Gulf Red Snapper or Sam Kane prime rib from Corpus Christi. Texas pecan pie or orange sorbet.
Good Dog Hot Dogs
- Using our Texas-made franks and local artisan buns by Slow Dough Bread Co., we have created a special GO TEXAN dog showcasing our hand-crafted condiments made with seasonal local Texas produce.
- Food and wine pairing menu featuring Texas food with Texas wines
- Texas wine tastings
- Chicken fried steak with "made from scratch" Texas River Bottom Gravy and served with homemade Texas Hot Tots and tossed salad with buttermilk ranch dressing, slice of made-in-Houston pie, served warm and topped with Blue Bell ice cream.
- Texas food and wine pairings ($45 meals only, $65 with wine pairings)
- Salad: Tandoor-roasted beet salad with pistachio-crusted goat cheese from Houston Dairy Maids and candied Texas pecans. Paired with McPherson Cellars Rousanne 2011.
- Entrée: Texas red fish with mango chutney, bhindi masala and garlic kulcha naan. Paired with Becker Vineyards Viognier 2011 OR Texas Quail with wild mushrooms and figs. Paired with Apricot Biryani Llano "1836" Red Blend 2008.
- Dessert: Poached Texas peaches with gorgonzola and Texas peach sorbet. Paired with Messina Hof Angel Late Harvest Riesling 2011.
MAX's Wine Dive
- Texas Wine List: El Coq Blanc, El Sueno "Tinto de Tejas," Hook, Line & Sinker Rosé
- Entrées: Carmel Corn Crusted Pork Belly featuring root beer-braised Black Hill Ranch pork belly, pistachio caramel corn and celery root puree (featuring Black Hill Ranch, Cypress, Texas). Elk Sausage Corndog featuring house-made South Texas elk sausage, traditional county fair corndog batter, fennel coleslaw, hand-cut fries and house-made "Kitchen Sink" mustard (featuring Broken Arrow Ranch, Ingram, Texas). Pan Borracho (MAX's Famous "Drunk Bread") torn Slow Dough sourdough baguette, prosciutto and fresh thyme soaked in a savory white wine custard baked with Gruyère, provolone and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses (featuring Slow Dough).
- Small Plate: Cheese board featuring Texas cheeses
Pappas Bros Steakhouse
- An assortment of Texas cheeses, Texas quail, Texas venison, Texas pecan pie, Texas peach cobbler and an assortment of Texas wines
Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp Bruschetta with warm Texas goat cheese and fresh tomatoes
- Pecan pie baked fresh with the largest pecans we could find, straight from Central Texas
- Shiner Bock (bottle)
Pappas Seafood House
- Grilled Shrimp Bruschetta with warm Texas goat cheese and fresh tomatoes
- Tejas 'Rita: Organic Republic Tequila Plata and Paula's Texas orange liqueur with fresh orange, lemon and lime juices
- Salad: Insalata di Scamorza: Locally-grown watercress, Texas watermelon and Paula's smoked mozzarella
- Entrée: Ragu di Coniglio con Pappardelle: Braised Tejas Tropical farm-raised rabbit tossed with pappardelle pasta
- Dessert: Housemade Texas grapefruit sorbetto
- Salad: Spring salad of sprouts, flowers, petite vegetables and dried duck prosciutto with warm gorgonzola cremificato fondue.
- Entrées: Barry Farm-raised chicken three ways: Roasted breast stuffed with Mascarpone, prosciutto leg confit and liver crostino, with demi sauce, pine nuts and raisins. Stuffed Baby Eggplant and Candied Rhubarb: Broken Arrow Ranch grilled quail lacquered with Acacia honey, served with Bagoss cheese and tagliolini timbale and sauterne sauce.
The Backyard Grill
- Fixed-price Texas meal
- Thirty-six Texas beers. Alternating daily specials from different Texas breweries including Saint Arnold, Southern Star, No Label, Rahr, Karbach, Independence, Real Ale and Ranger Creek
The Tasting Room at CityCentre
- Texas Wine List: El Coq Blanc, El Sueno "Tinto de Tejas," Hook, Line & Sinker Texas Rosé
- Small Plates: Roasted Black Hill Ranch Pork Tostadas served with cotija corn chip with pasilla chile sauce, caramelized peach & jicama slaw (Featuring Black Hill Ranch Pork Tostados with Texas peach slaw). Caprese Salad served with Pea Patch tomatoes, house-made mozzarella, fresh basil, Olive & Vine olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar, finished off with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper (featuring Pea Patch/Hilder Farm Tomatoes, Olive & Vine EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar). Cheese plate featuring Texas cheeses.
- Entrées: Grilled Spice-Rubbed Hanger Steak served with roasted garlic demi-glaze alongside classic potato salad with bacon (featuring Hilder Farms and Olive & Vine).
The Tasting Room at Uptown Park
- Texas Wine List: El Coq Blanc, El Sueno "Tinto de Tejas," Hook, Line & Sinker Texas Rosé, Tranquilo White, Tranquilo Red.
- Small Plates: Peppadew peppers stuffed with Pure Luck chevré (featuring Pure Luck chevré from Dripping Springs). Salchicha pizza featuring house-made Broken Arrow Ranch venison sausage, Gruyère, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers (featuring made Broke Arrow Ranch venison sausage). Cheese Selections featuring Texas cheeses. Peanut Butter 'n' Pretzels featuring Slow Dough pretzels, served with house-made peanut butter honey mustard (featuring Slow Dough Bakery, Southern Star Brewery Bombshell Blonde).
- Entrée: TTR Texas Burger served alongside fried (featuring Slow Dough Bakery, Southern Star Brewery Bombshell Blonde, Anderson Farms bread and butter jalapeños, Veldhuizen Redneck Cheddar, Pea Patch tomatoes).
Yia Yia Mary's Greek Kitchen
- Texas Hill Country Syrah Wine: Intense and spicy red with notes of blueberry pie and vanilla
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.