While dining at Catalan a few weeks ago, I was heartened to see the following note on their menu: "Add seared Foie gras (to anything, and we do mean anything) $9."
Foie gras is what I like to call a Fail-Safe Food Add-On because its presence virtually always improves the dish. In fact, it's number five on my list of favorite food adds:
5. Foie gras Foie gras, aka "meat butter," increases a food's richness factor by a power of ten. I suggest adding a slab to a rare Kobe beef burger, layering thin slices with brie and crackers, or weaving chunks into an omelet. Just a little goes a long way: a good thing considering those fowl livers tiny and rather pricey.
4. Cheese If you haven't already heard, cheese makes everything better. With so many different kinds, it's difficult not to find the perfect complement to that sandwich, casserole or pasta. Even pie benefits from a good old slice of cheddar.
3. Nuts. If you or your child has a severe peanut allergy, stop reading. Everyone else, consider how much depth and variety nuts add to a dish. Think brownies with walnuts, chicken salad with almonds, grilled salmon with a pecan crust. A handful, dash, or even sprinkle of nuts transforms heretofore homely fare into something sophisticated.
2. Avocado Sliced, diced or mashed (as in guacamole), avocado provides filling creaminess to burritos, wraps and salads. And with such much "good" fat, avocado is a terrific substitute for other artery-clogging spreads like mayonnaise, butter and cream cheese.
1. Fried Egg Dump one on steamed spinach, a barbecued chicken sandwich, spaghetti marinara, etc., etc., etc., and watch the ovum do its magic. That wonderful runny yolk seeps into a dish's every nook and cranny, infusing all components with a salty butteriness that emboldens all other flavors.
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.