Last week's entry was so long that we had to leave off a couple places. (And for the record: No, we're not actually offended by the name "House of Guys.") Starting with those two: Pho Binh Trailer (10928 Beamer) avoided a citation but earned seven violations, including potentially hazardous food not held at proper temperatures; ice machine not set up in a way that prevents contamination; dirty non-food-contact surfaces; dirty and poorly maintained wall and ceiling; and poorly designed or maintained equipment.
Jenni's Noodle House (3111 S. Shepherd) also avoided a citation, despite racking up eight violations. Jenni's problems included spoiled or mislabeled food; potentially hazardous food not marked with disposition time; raw and cooked food not kept separate; potentially hazardous food cooled improperly; and no Food Service Manager's Certification.
On to new business, starting with good news. The Egg and I (14075 Memorial) had just one violation, hand-washing sink/related feature not kept clean. A handful of other places didn't fare as well.
Zoe's Kitchen (5779 San Felipe), despite earning just four violations, received a citation for issues that included ice machine not set up in a way that prevents contamination; food employee not wear proper hair restraint; openings to the outside not protected against the entrance of pests; and no Food Service Manager's Certification.
Seoul Garden (9446 Long Point) -- there might be a Doors joke not named Jim Morrison somewhere in there, but frankly, we're tired and kind of busy -- didn't receive a citation and tallied a less-than-shocking five violations. One of those, though, was a particularly unappetizing issue: "Establishment not removing (dead/trapped) (insects/rodents/pests) from premises at frequency that prevents the accumulation of pests."
Pho Ga Dakao (11778 Bellaire), a favorite of ours that specializes in the chicken version of the Vietnamese noodle soup, had a rough time as well. Inspectors issued a citation after finding half a dozen violations, including poisonous/toxic materials not stored in a way that prevents contamination; openings to the outside not protected against the entrance of pests; no valid mobile food-service medallion; and potentially hazardous foods being thawed improperly.
Finally, Jake's Philly Steaks (2994 Chimney Rock) also got a ticket for eight violations. Jake's problems included no Food Service Manager's Certification; openings to the outside not protected against the entrance of pests; moist cleaning cloths used improperly; and poorly designed or maintained equipment.
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.