Whether or not you agreed with our own recent list of our 100 Favorite Dishes in Houston, most residents have their own very definite ideas of what essential Houston meals are. Perhaps it's barbecue at Thelma's or oysters at Gilhooley's. Maybe it's crispy-skinned snapper at Reef or Vietnamese crawfish at Wild Cajun. Either way, every Houstonian has at least one meal or one restaurant they guide visitors to when they want to dine in the Bayou City.
- Petaluma salad at Barnaby's
- Pancakes and bacon at Buffalo Grille
- Oysters at Captain Benny's
- Parillada at Churrascos
- Breakfast tacos at El Rey
- Fried chicken at Frenchy's
- Dim sum at Fung's Kitchen
- Chopped beef sandwich on jalapeño-cheese bread at Goode Company Bar-B-Q
- Vietnamese sandwich at Les Givral's
- Fajitas at Ninfa's on Navigation
- Crawfish at Ragin Cajun
- Joe's Pizza at Star Pizza
- Chicken burrito at La Tapatia
- T-bone steak at Taste of Texas
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Personally, we'd sub out the steak at Taste of Texas for one at Vic & Anthony's, and the pancakes at Buffalo Grille for those at Fountain View Cafe. And there should be at least one food truck meal on there, for which we'd probably sub out Barnaby's.
What changes would you make? Let the GHCVB know on Twitter: @VisitHoustonTX.