'Tis the season for guests. It pays to be equipped with a handful of easy appetizer recipes that you can whip up quickly and usually have the ingredients for already sitting in the kitchen. This delicious dip fits the bill perfectly. The only thing that takes any time at all is roasting the garlic, but it's definitely worth the added few minutes to get that sweet-savory punch of roasted garlic.
Roasted Garlic, Feta , and Walnut Dip with Toasted Flat Bread
- Medium bulb garlic, end cut off, 1 clove reserved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 1 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large clove garlic, reserved from above, cracked away from skin
- 4 flat breads or pitas, cut into wedges and toasted
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Preheat oven or toaster oven to highest setting. Pour oil over cut side of garlic bulb and rub into skin. Double wrap the garlic in foil and roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the garlic becomes soft and aromatic.
Combine walnuts, feta, milk, oregano, chives, black pepper, red pepper and garlic clove in food processor and pulse process until spread is smooth. Scrape spread into serving dish with spatula. Drizzle dip with extra-virgin olive oil and serve.
When you remove garlic from the oven, turn heat off. Arrange triangles of cut pita or flat brad on a small tray or cookie sheet. Place bread into the hot oven. The bread will be warmed through and lightly toasted in 5 minutes.