It never fails. You made your shopping list, checked it twice and still managed to leave off something. Maybe you “knew” you had a particular ingredient on hand and then found out it had all gotten used up. No matter the circumstances, there are plenty of grocery stores open at least part of Thanksgiving Day. (Note that warehouse clubs Sam’s Club and Costco are both closed.) Make sure to gather all your Thanksgiving dinner ingredients in the morning so if something’s missing, you’ll still have time to make it to the store.
Disclaimer: This list of open grocery stores is a guide, not a guarantee. Call the store before you drive there.
A new option for this year is the Amazon Prime service. Depending on what you need, you might be able to get it delivered to your door in just a few hours. (By the way, Amazon now offers a limited selection of produce, like bags of fresh apples and lemons.)
- Amazon Prime: The new delivery service operates from 8 a.m. to midnight in the Houston area. A minimum order of $20 (plus gratuity for the driver) can usually be delivered in two hours for free. In some cases, one-hour delivery is available for $7.99.
- Central Market, 3815 Westheimer: Open from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Fiesta: All locations will be open regular hours. Check individual locations for times, as they vary.
- Foodarama: All locations will be open, but hours vary depending on the store. Check with individual locations for hours. To give you an idea of what opening hours might be, one store we called said its hours would be 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- H-E-B: All locations will be open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- H-Mart: The original Blalock location is open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and the new Bellaire store is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Kroger: All stores will open at their usual time and close at 4 p.m.
- Randalls: All locations open at their regular time (which varies) and close at 6 p.m.
- Target: All stores will open doors at 6 p.m. — but it's for Black Friday, so good luck, citizen.
- Walmart: Stores will be open regular hours on Thanksgiving, and many have grocery sections. “The only time we close early is on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day,” said an employee at the Cypress location. With that said, Walmart's Black Friday sale starts at 6 p.m., so you may want to be far, far away by then.
- Whole Foods: All locations will be open until 4 p.m., except for the Post Oak store, which is open from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Whole Foods says that's going to be the perfect spot for watching the 5K Turkey Trot.) Bellaire, Sugar Land, Voss, The Woodlands, Champions, Montrose and Kirby locations open at 7 a.m., while the Katy and Wilcrest locations open at 8 a.m.
- CVS: All locations open normal hours. Some pharmacies may be open but closing early. (One store says its pharmacy will close at 6 p.m. that day.) “Minute Clinic” locations are closing at 1:30 p.m., so get there sooner rather than later.
- Walgreens: Stores are open normal hours. Pharmacies are open only at the 24-hour locations.