The Super bowl is back this weekend, and though our beloved Texans won't be there this year (or ever again if we have another season like this past one), it's still a great time to cheer on our new favorite team with junk food and far too much alcohol.
We've already made some food suggestions, like what to order online and what to make to pair with the two teams, but you're also going to need some booze. And what goes better with a football game than...Jell-O shots? OK probably beer, but Jell-O shots are much more festive.
But don't make just any Jell-O shots ... Make ones with two or three colors to provide a sensory extravaganza as the flavors mix and mingle in your mouth!
Well, that may be a bit of an exaggeration. Still, these tri-colored shots are pretty nifty and super-easy to make, and they go really well with our Battle Drink Superbowl BINGO!
Using the following recipe, I made about 100 (large) Jell-O shots in the colors of both the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos.
Here's what you'll need for the Seahawks: 2 large (6 oz) packages blue Jell-O 1 large package green Jell-O 3 cups vodka (or any other liquor you want to use) food coloring
Step 1. Boil two cups of water. Step 2. Add boiling water to one package of blue Jell-O powder in mixing bowl. Step 3. Stir with a whisk until Jell-O powder is completely incorporated. Step 4. Add 1 cup cold water. Step 5. Add 1 cup vodka. Step 6. Pour into plastic shot cups until one-third of the cup is full. It's a really small pour. Step 7. Allow first layer to set in refrigerator. Step 8. Repeat steps 1-5 with green Jell-O powder. Step 9. Once first blue layer has set, pour a thin layer of green on top of it, then return cups to refrigerator to continue setting. Step 10. Repeat steps 1-5 with second package of blue Jell-O powder. Step 11. Add 20 drops of blue food coloring, 20 drops of red food coloring and 6 drops of green food coloring to the mix to make navy blue. Step 12. Once the green layer has set, pour a thin layer of navy blue on top of it. By now, the cups should be nearly full. Step 13. Allow the shots to completely set for several hours or overnight.
Learn how to make Broncos shots and get some Jell-O shot tips on the next page.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Here's what you'll need for the Broncos: 1 large package orange Jell-O 1 large package blue Jell-O 1 box of plain gelatin (4 packs in a box) 1 can sweetened condensed milk vanilla extract 3 cups vodka (or any other liquor you want to use)
Step 1. Boil two cups of water. Step 2. Add boiling water to one package of orange Jell-O powder in mixing bowl. Step 3. Stir with a whisk until Jell-O powder is completely incorporated. Step 4. Add 1 cup cold water. Step 5. Add 1 cup vodka. Step 6. Pour into plastic shot cups until one-third of the cup is full. Step 7. Allow first layer to set in refrigerator. Step 8. Add 3 cups of water to pot on the stove, and sprinkle four packages of plain gelatin (one whole box) into the water. Step 9. Stir over low heat, incorporating the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla while you're stirring. Mix should get hot but not quite boiling. Step 10. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of vodka. Allow to cool. Step 11. Once the orange layer has set, pour a thin layer of the white gelatin on top of it, then return to the refrigerator. Step 12. Repeat steps 1-5 with blue Jell-O. Step 13. Add 20 drops of blue food coloring, 20 drops of red food coloring and 6 drops of green food coloring to the mix to make navy blue. Step 14. Once the white layer has set, pour a thin layer of navy blue on top of it. By now, the cups should be nearly full. Step 15. Allow the shots to completely set for several hours or overnight.
- If, like me, you have leftover Jell-O in a single color thanks to inexact measurements, get creative! I found myself with extra orange and white (but no extra Broncos blue), so I made orange dreamsicle shots. I also had leftover green from the Seahawks, so I added some lime extract to give them a little extra zing.
- Arrange the shot cups on metal baking sheets to make transferring in and out of the refrigerator easier.
- Use whipped cream vodka for the white layer, and try other flavored vodkas for other colors. Just make sure the flavors go well together.
- This whole process takes about three hours, because you have to wait for the layers to solidify before you can add another layer. Watch a movie while you're doing it.
- Purchase shot cups as well as lids for easy stacking.
- If you want to make the shots all one flavor, use unflavored gelatin and food coloring. You can find recipes for specific cocktail Jell-O shots online (like margarita or cosmo).
- Use good vodka. There's nothing worse than a Jell-O shot that tastes like fake fruit and rubbing alcohol. I recommend Deep Eddy, Dripping Springs or Tito's, 'cause if the Texans aren't going to be at the Superbowl, you should at least serve Texas liquor.