There are certain combinations of foods that have become so iconic in the American food psyche (e.g., apple pie and vanilla ice cream, spaghetti and meatballs) that it seems wrong to have one without the other. The illustrious union of peanut butter and jelly -- which has proved so successful in the world of sandwiches -- is popping up unsurprisingly in other culinary dimensions. This winter I'm on the hunt to find (per)mutations of this comfort food classic.
The internet is awash with recipes for peanut butter and jelly cupcakes, but I wasn't interested in those that incorporated either element in a peaceful fashion.
Two birthdays ago my sister Margaret gave me a cupcake corer, which I use whenever possible to disembowel baked treats and replace their cake innards with various fillings.
Fortunately, Country Garden Cooking provided me with a good recipe that incorporated a corer that I tweaked just a bit for my own purposes.
Cupcakes & Filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberry jam*
*Jelly is, of course, perfectly acceptable, but I prefer large fruit chunks.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line twelve-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Add the sour cream to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the eggs and yolk, 1 at a time, beating until thoroughly mixed into the batter.
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into the cupcake liners to fill 3/4 of the way.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Cool COMPLETELY before filling and frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
Beat butter and peanut butter until creamy and fully combined. Add in milk and gradually beat in sugar.
Remove cupcakes from pan.
Gouge those suckers Using cupcake corer, delicately remove interior of each cupcake and replace with strawberry jam. Frost cupcake tops generously with peanut butter frosting. Eat almost immediately with ice-cold milk.