Tasting Notes: This Week in Wine Blogs

Vintage Texas: We're happy to report that it's been an unusually busy week in the world of Houston wine blogging.

And we're doubly thrilled that Houston-based blogger, leading Texas wine authority Russ Kane, author of Vintage Texas, continues to serve faithfully as the Texas wine world's de facto media director, posting breaking news where others fail to see the importance of the internets as a medium for communication.

Such was the case yesterday when Russ posted the results of the "Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo™ 2012 Int'l Wine Competition," including a Texas wine, the Messina Hof 2004 Solera (which took the "Top Texas Wine" category). Of the roughly 312 million people living in the United States, more than 70 percent have internet access (according to the CIA). Do the other 30 percent live in Texas?

Texas Wine Folks: please wake up and smell the wine: It's time to pay attention to your online presence!

TX Wine Lover: "Texas has some great wines," once wrote Texas wine blogger Jeff Cope, author of TX Wine Lover, also based in Houston.

"'Really?' you may hear. 'I thought California was the only state that made wines.' Unfortunately that is a common belief among a lot of people who may drink wine occasionally or even those that drink wine often but perhaps primarily drink wine from another country."

"But after that [first] weekend visiting the local wineries, wine became our favorite drink," explained Jeff, referring to his partner Gloria and their weekend getaways.

This week, Jeff continues to fulfill his mission of sharing his love for Texas wines with two posts devoted to Lone Star State wineries: The Sugar Ridge Winery in Bristol and the White House Winery near Navasota.

It seems that no winery is too small for Jeff and Gloria, and we're always happy to tag along for the ride.

Wine Thoughts: And for those of us not averse to drinking wines from other countries, wine educator Sandra Crittenden, author of one of our favorite Houston-based wine blogs, Wine Thoughts, weighs in with two posts on the wines of Burgundy. And true to form, Sandra focuses in on wines from different segments of the price point spectrum. The first is devoted to two prohibitively expensive wines from the Côte de Nuits; the second to "regional" wines of Burgundy (more in line with what we can afford to spend on a good bottle).

Vine Sleuth Uncorked:Woodlands-based wine blogger Amy Gross takes us on a journey to Chile via one her favorite Indian restaurants.

"Ever since my first visit to Chile in January of 1999," writes Amy, "I have been in love with the country."

"So when [self-described "Promotional Body"] Wines of Chile invited me to taste several bottles of Carmenere paired with curry, I was intrigued... I invited a few friends over, stopped by a local restaurant to order takeout for my dinner party."

The pairing of curry and Carmenere was an unexpected but thoroughly enjoyed hit and the guests even hazarded a Google search during dinner to read about the origins of the grape variety. (Who knew they had such internets penetration in the Woodlands?)

Amy is part of a growing movement of folks who not only enjoy wine but also see it as a wonderful pretext and context for socialization. And her blog embodies her adventurous enogastronomic spirit with gusto and honest writing.

Great stuff, Amy: Please keep the wine and the blogging flowing!

Follow Eating Our Words on Facebook and on Twitter @EatingOurWords

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Press community and help support independent local journalism in Houston.


Join the Press community and help support independent local journalism in Houston.