The Tillamook Cheese Loaf Love Tour starts this Saturday in Houston, and it's gonna be a juicy one. For one week, five local restaurants will offer gourmet Tillamook-inspired burgers that sound so irresistible, you might be tempted to try them all.
1. At BRC Gastropub, Chef Lance Fegen has created a tempting Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Chili Dog Burger with sweet jalapeños, pickled onions and iceberg lettuce. The burger stack is available for $13. Also on offer is the Tillamook Pepper Jack Pimento Cheese appetizer, served with warm tortilla strips, $9.
2. Love The Burger Guys' Akaushi burger? If so, you'll love their Tillamook Betty, made with a hearty half pound of Akaushi beef, cinnamon nutmeg aioli, bread-and-butter-pickled Braeburn apples, arugula and Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, served on a challah bun. $10.
3. Want some of Beaver's famous "dam good" food? Beaver's specially created Tillamook Ice House Burger, made with Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese, beer-battered, pickled onion rings and cornmeal-fried jalapeños, topped with Beaver's house-made barbecue sauce and served on locally made Texas toast, is huge enough for two and will set you back a mere $13. Wash it down with some ice-cold beer.
4. If you want to do a two-fer and hit two places at once, schedule Liberty Kitchen & Oyster Bar after Beaver's for The Rodeo Clown Reuben -- a drool-worthy combination of brisket, chicken-fried steak, hot dog, Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, Tillamook Pepper Jack, sweet jalapeños, malt slaw, tomato, pickles, 1000 Island and chile con queso on pumpernickel. It's $18, but when you see it, it'll be worth it.
5. And last but not least, award-winning Chef Bryan Caswell and Bill Floyd have something to entice you at Little Bigs, which made Bon Appétit's Top 10 Best New Burger Spots in the U.S.
For just $2.50, you can taste The Hanging Slider, made with Tillamook Medium Cheddar and caramelized onions on a yeast bun. It promises to be so good, you might end up wolfing down two or three.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Remember, these burgers will only be available from April 28 to May 5, so test-drive them while you can. Houston wasn't named Best Burger City by Travel & Leisure magazine for nothin'.
Tillamook's Loaf Love Tour is the third annual cross-country event dedicated to "bringing tasty cheese to the people." To see the tour's detailed schedule of stops, visit www.LoafLoveTour.com.