I was hanging out on my porch when my friend came over with some chips to go with the beer I was drinking. It was one of those relaxed days when I couldn't seem to get out of the patio chair. I thought the name of the chips was kinda funny: Zapp's Voodoo Gumbo. I ate a few and came the conclusion that the chips tasted like barbecue kettle chips. Oh well, I ate the whole bag.
About an hour later I started to feel tired and nauseous, and my head felt like it was going to split open. I thought about what I had eaten that day and returned to the chips. I read the ingredients on the side of the bag, and there it was...in big, greasy letters: monosodium glutamate, i.e., good, old, MSG.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
I am not allergic to anything, but this stuff screws me up royally. I couldn't do anything after that. I'd eaten so much of it, all I wanted to do was lie in bed. Why do they put this in anything, especially food? It has a list of side effects, after all. Is that what they mean by voodoo?