The pies at Flying Saucer are creeping up in price, and dare I say a little overrated in the taste department. But tradition is tradition. What's a Thanksgiving without waiting in line for one of their tasty treats? Here are the top five worth waiting for...and no, I'm not including pumpkin. That's a given.
5. Peach Overlooked by many, but not by me. I love the peach pie, and would rate it higher on this list if they weren't so stingy with the peaches. This simple and not overly sweet classic goes great with a scoop of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla.
4. Strawberry Cream I tend to pass on the cream pies during the holiday season, but taste is taste--and the strawberry cream is damn good. There are times when the strawberries are actually too big, but that's what we call a good problem. And how does that sweetened whipped cream on top taste so different from any other whipped cream?
3. Dutch Apple It's Thanksgiving, you've got to get an apple pie. Why not make it a Dutch apple pie? Just one complaint, Flying Saucer: How about a little more apple and a little less Dutch? I'm guessing that might affect profit margins. The topping on this pie is a little too much for me, but not if you add that scoop of vanilla to mix in. Throw this pie in the oven for 30 minutes, remove, and pile on the ice cream.
2. Banana Cream The definition of gluttony--this one is just plain wrong, but so good. "Hmmm, I've just polished off half a pound of turkey, a pile of mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, and sweet potatoes. I think I'm in the mood for some banana cream pie." I'll see you in hell, fat boy.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to the mission of the Houston Press. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Houston’s stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
1. Cherry Tart, sweet and well proportioned -- the perfect Thanksgiving dessert. Flying Saucer's cherry pie is so solid, so consistent, and so delicious. Now, go get in line!