I've never been big on New Year's Resolutions, especially when it comes to food and dieting. You'll find none of that on my Top 5.
5. Keep Houston Weird In 2009, I ate lamb testicles in Oklahoma City. In 2010, I ate pig ears in Denver. In 2011, I want to top both of those things in the area of weirdness, but only if it's from a Houston restaurant. I'll be keeping my eyes open and taking any suggestions. By the way, the testicles were disgusting and the ears were edible.
4. Waiting to Cupcake I'm guessing I missed the big cupcake craze, but it's never too late to stand in line 15 minutes for a small cake. We usually make our own cupcakes at home, but this year I plan to spend massive amounts of money on exotic flavored delights. Get ready Crave and Sprinkles!
3. Best Meal in Houston I'm always on the prowl for the best any city has to offer. I recently ate the best restaurant meal of my life, but it wasn't in Houston. So far, Haven tops my list for our fine city. But I demand more, and the search will continue to top my best meal ever.
2. Year of the Bacon Everything in 2010 was about the bacon. I had bacon-infused vodka AND whiskey, chocolate-dipped bacon, candied bacon, and more. What will the big ingredient for 2011 be? And can I, myself put one on the map? Probably not, but I'll give it my best shot.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Necessity Is the Mother of Invention I'm constantly cooking, but truth be told, I'm a bit of a hack. I find other recipes, cook them, and eat them. This year, I want to take all of the culinary knowledge I've gained over the past few years and start concocting my own recipes. I'm sure I'll have my highs and lows, but I'm ready to take the next step.