It's no secret that Maine-ly Sandwiches serves some damn fine lobster rolls. And if you go there, you should probably order one. But that shouldn't be the only thing you take home with you. Here are five other menu items worth trying at Maine-ly Sandwiches.
5. Lobster Bisque. The scene: you have an unbelievable hankering for lobster but arrive at Maine-ly Sandwiches to find they are out (temporarily) of lobster rolls. I dunno why; maybe Maine seceded from the Union and is no longer trading whole crustaceans across state lines. Go for the rich lobster bisque, which will satisfy your craving and provide you with some excellent dipping sauce for a loaf of crusty bread.
4. Whoopie Pie. To round out its New England menu, Maine-ly Sandwiches appropriately offers that east coast sweet staple known as the "whoopie pie." Sham versions of this dessert have popped up all over the United States, but as a former resident of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, I can tell you that Maine-ly's has that authentic made-for-the-school-bakesale taste that comes from a spongy, freshly made chocolate cookie and a moderately sweet cream filling.
3. "I Love Bacon" BLT. As you might expect, there's a lot of bacon on this sandwich. Actually, there's more bacon than you would expect and almost too much bacon to eat in one sitting. Key word: almost. A chewy sub roll nicely corrals the many layers of slightly crispy pork strips and mayo, lettuce, and tomato slices add some cream, crunch, and lubrication.
2. Spicy Salami Sandwich With Provolone Cheese. Cold cuts: meh, I can really take them or leave them. The spicy salami I tried at Maine-ly is one of the few exceptions. Its high notes of black pepper and liberal spotting of interior fat yet general non-greasy texture is probably why the spicy salami except from my general malaise surrounding sliced sandwich meats. The addition of a mild cheese plus traditional Italian toppings like white onions, tomatoes, pickles, and jalapenos transforms an otherwise simple sub sandwich into a party lunch that will hold you over until evening happy hour.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Clam Chowda. A warm cup of clam chowder is one of the best preludes to a lobster roll entree as it readies your palate for more intense crustacean flavors to come. Of course, once you start eating your clam chowda (don't dare you say, "chow-DER"), you'll want more than a cup...and some oyster crackers...either way Mainely's got you covered.