This Content is produced by our Sponsor; it is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Houston Press editorial staff. Please view our Advertising information to learn more.
10 Reasons why you should go to Oktoberfest Houston this Weekend at the Water Works at Buffalo Bayou Park
This year, the annual festival has gone to 2 days for the first time! In addition to their traditional Saturday schedule of events, this year you can attend Friday from 5-11pm and enjoy cooler weather and tickets at 40% less expensive than Saturday, so take advantage!
Houston Oktoberfest 2019 | Fri. Sept. 27 & Sat. Sept. 28
The Water Works at Buffalo Bayou Park (105 Sabine)
It’s sure to be one of the best times in Houston this fall, and there are plenty of reasons to check it out. Here are 10 reasons to purchase your tickets for Oktoberfest Houston.
1. WELL, OBVIOUSLY, BEERIt wouldn’t be Oktoberfest without beer, and Oktoberfest won’t lack for options. Houston’s only beer festival with a German twist, Oktoberfest Houston will feature both German and import beers, as well as local craft beers (including Oktoberfest seasonals). What makes this event unique is that you can upgrade to a one liter boot or stein to drink those tasty beers! Those who purchase VIP tickets will gain access to special beers not available with a general admission ticket.
2. AND, OF COURSE, FOODBeer is certainly a major draw of Oktoberfest, but it isn’t the only way to fill up. That’s right, Oktoberfest will feature food options aplenty. That includes German fare from a number of local food trucks, including Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, Pretzels, and more. Those who opt for VIP tickets will have access to award-winning food from King’s BierHaus!
3. This special event features teams of two and is free to all Oktoberfest attendees. Sign-up is available on-site at the event, and prizes will be awarded. Test your mettle, and balance, by participating in the Stein Race. Take on the Barrel Roll by rolling a keg around the course – don’t hit the cones! And get down on the Legendary Brat Toss by tossing bratwurst as far as you possibly can. Even the games are Oktoberfest-themed!
4. HOUSTON SPORTS & SOCIAL CLUBThat’s right – event sponsor Houston Sports & Social Club will be at the Water Works bringing ALL the fun, including:
OKTOBERFEST OLYMPIAD GAMES - Try your hand at the Oktoberfest Olympiad on Saturday, featuring teams of two and free to all Oktoberfest attendees. Sign-up is available on-site at the event, and prizes will be awarded. Test your mettle, and balance, by participating in the Stein Race. Take on the Barrel Roll by rolling a keg around the course – don’t hit the cones! And get down on the Legendary Brat Toss by tossing bratwurst as far as you possibly can. Even the games are Oktoberfest-themed!
TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS - BEER PONG & CORNHOLE TOURNAMENTS
Whether you are in it to win it or just want to play for a few good laughs, you don’t want to miss your chance at Beer Pong or Cornhole glory! Not only will you have a blast fighting through the competition, but you can win awesome prizes including cash! The cornhole tourney (added this year for the first time) will be happening on Friday evening, and the winning team will receive a minimum cash prize of $500! The beer pong tourney will be held on Saturday as always, and the winning team will receive a $300 Guaranteed Cash Prize!
ADULT FUN ZONE
Check out the always popular HoustonSSC Fun Zone, which includes free play games like cornhole, giant beer pong, giant Connect Four, giant Jenga, beer pong and flip-cup. Giant games and beer-infused competition – what could be better?!
5. PLENTY OF CONTESTSThe Oktoberfest Olympiad is sure to be a good time, but it isn’t the only way to flex your competitive muscle at Oktoberfest. Sign up for these contests – free for all attendees – and win awesome prizes! Been stepping up your workout game? Show it off by participating in the Stein Hoisting Competition. More of an Oktoberfest fashionista? Get your Lederhosen and Dirndls on and compete in the Best Dressed Contest. Win prizes by getting down on the Yodeling Contest (powered by Howl at the Moon Houston), then cut a rug by trying your hand (and feet) at the Chicken Dance Contest (powered by Pluckers Wing Factory).
6. EVEN MORE ENTERTAINMENT!Think the fun at Oktoberfest ends with beer, food and competition? Think again. The entertainment will roll on all day, including classic Polka bands like Enzian Buam, Off the Grid, Eurofest and the Accordian Cowboy, Chris Rybak. Plus, the Rathkamp German Folk Dancers and Gene Hackemack Accordion Man will be in the house for a performances of their own. Meanwhile, DJ Big Reeks – of Houston’s own vinyl enthusiasts The Waxaholics – will be in the house spinning the 1s and 2s.
7. FAMILY FRIENDLYYes that is right! Oktoberfest Houston has plenty of things for the young ones to do, and even better, children 15 and under are free to enter! In addition to a dedicated kids fun zone with all kinds of games to keep the kiddos busy, they can also try their hand at a 9 hole Putt-Putt course or visit the ever popular face painter!
8. THE VENUEHouston’s inner loop continues to step up its green space game, and in no place is that more evident than The Water Works at Buffalo Bayou Park. This picturesque venue features plush grass and a view of the downtown Houston skyline. It also sits just atop the spectacular decommissioned water cistern that offers free tours. Located just west of downtown, between Memorial and Allen Parkway, The Water Works provides Oktoberfest attendees with one beautiful piece of Houston.
9. BECAUSE YOU’RE A VIPThose who purchase a General Admission ticket to Oktoberfest Houston are sure to have a great time. But if you want to step up your game a bit, purchase a VIP ticket. That includes food from King’s BierHaus, not to mention expedited entry into the festival and a VIP area with covered seating. And oh yeah – complimentary beer, wine, soda, and water all day long, including select beers not available in the General Admission area.
10. DO SOME GOODProceeds from Oktoberfest Houston will benefit Play for Life Houston and Recycled Pomeranians and Schipperkes Rescue, Beer and charity. What’s not to love about Oktoberfest Houston?
Oktoberfest Houston 2019
Friday, Sept. 27th & Saturday, Sept. 28th
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR OKTOBERFEST HOUSTON 2019