[VIDEO] Farewell to Macy's, aka the Foley's Building
Photos by Abrahán Garza
What began as Foley Brother's Dry Goods Company at 400 Main Street in 1900 and acquired by Federated Department Stores in 1947, moving them in to the lush pad at 1110 Main Street, ended on Sunday, September 22, 2013.
See next page for video.
The building was architect Kenneth Franzheim's best known work and he won an Award of Merit from the American Institute of Architects in 1950. The original six-story Foley's Department Store building was updated to 10 stories in 1957. The Houston landmark came down at about 7:32 a.m. on Sunday, September 22nd after a series of booms that shook several downtown blocks. Macy's closed it's doors in downtown in March.
To view more photos of the implosion, check out our slideshow: Macy's Falls on the First Day of Fall.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
- Top 10 Super Bowl One-Hit Wonders (w/ VIDEO)
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:30pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 8:00pm
Sat., Feb. 20, 1:00pm
- Sheriff Hickman Shoots the Messenger, Pushes Back on Chron Jail Series
- Super Bowl 50: Five Best Prop Bets And Prediction