We take a look at downtown restaurants today. Let’s start off with the biggest offender first.
Popeye’s (1116 Travis) was inspected on Oct. 15 and they had a whopping 13 violations – way to go Popeye’s! • Food was found that was not safe for human consumption • Potentially hazardous food was not being held at the proper temperature • Employee was not wearing clothing that covered body hair while handling food • Equipment was not in good repair • Nonfood-contact surfaces were not cleaned often enough • Moist cloths were used for cleaning nonfood- contact surfaces • The person in charge did not have a Food Service Manager’s Certification • There was inadequate lighting in work areas • Lighting equipment did not have shielding/protection in food/equipment areas • Floors were not constructed of durable materials • Wall / Ceiling was not maintained in good repair • There was insufficient ventilation to keep the room free from odor / heat / smoke / fumes • Equipment was not maintained in accordance with manufacturer’s specification
Benihana of Tokyo (1318 Louisiana) was inspected on October 8 and while the sushi bar didn’t have any violations, the kitchen had a few. • The walls / ceilings were not kept clean • Floors were not kept clean • Ice making machine was not operated / maintained to prevent contamination • Nonfood-contact surfaces not cleaned often enough • A food employee was not wearing effective hair restraint • Running water used to rinse utensils was not sufficient to flush/drain particulates
The Benihana Bar only had one violation: • The water used to wash utensils was not hot enough
Hub Cap Grill (1111 Prairie) got a hand-slap on Oct. 15 by inspectors who found: • No Smoking signs were not clearly posted • Employees were handling ready-to-eat food without using utensils / gloves • Potentially hazardous food was being thawed in water • Food was not protected from cross-contamination
At Azuma Sushi Robata (909 Texas) inspectors found • food being stored in contact with water • ice intended for human consumption was being used for cooling • Nonfood-contact surfaces were not cleaned often enough
Two other downtown restaurants had pre-opening inspections, Angelo’s Houston (711 Main) and McCormick & Schmick’s (1201 Fannin). Both were found to have walls / ceilings that were not in good repair.
Check back next week when we reveal the top ten inspection code violators in the city. — Olivia Flores Alvarez
Keep the Houston Press Free... Since we started the Houston Press, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Houston, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Houston with no paywalls.