"I'm Rich BIATCH!" Remembering Chappelle's Show With Our Top Five Sketches
Last weekend, while flipping through all 10 channels of network television we landed on "The Racial Draft," a classic skit from the second season of Chappelle's Show--on KIAH-TV (Channel 39). Apparently the network has been airing back-to-back episodes of the groundbreaking comedy series from 12 a.m.-1 a.m. every Sunday, and the skits (although edited) remain shocking, relevant and really (really) funny.
Even though the show only aired for two seasons (116 sketches), it was nearly impossible to choose a top five--they're all just so damn good. With that in mind, we moved our focus to the second season--in our opinion, the better of the two.
In the words of the late Rick James, "Enjoy yourself, bitch."
|Tyrone Biggums' Red Balls Energy Drink|
5. TYRONE BIGGUMS for RED BALLS (a.k.a. "The Bionic Crackhead") Does the endless pursuit of crack leave you tired and depleted? Why not have a Red Balls--It's cocaine in a can, baby. HAMANAHAMANAHAMANAHA
FAVORITE QUOTE "Mayday, Mayday, we've got a crackhead lifting up the bus."
RELATED "Tyrone Biggums: Fear Factor" Fear is not a factor for crackheads.
|Samuel L. Jackson Beer|
4. SAMUEL JACKSON BEER Why settle for a Samuel Adams when you could have a Samuel Jackson. Good Motherf*@kin' Beer--It'll get you drunk. And scream in your face. And reference bad movies.
FAVORITE QUOTE(S) "Mmmmm Mmmm bitch!" "They ATE me. A fuckin' shark ATE me...Drink Bitch!"
|The World Series of Dice|
3. THE WORLD SERIES OF DICE ESPN-like coverage of the 8th Annual World Series of Dice, Live from The Marcy Projects in Brooklyn, NY.
FAVORITE QUOTE(S) Announcer 1: [Grits 'n Gravy is] best known for rolling 77 "sevens" in a row in a casino in Las Vegas, making him a millionaire in the process. Earlier today we asked him what he did with the money. Grits 'N Gravy: I bought my momma a car...I spent the rest on PCP. Announcer 1: Ok, simple enough. Announcer 2: I like his style! Announcer 1: Loves his mother. Announcer 2: Loves PCP.
|True Hollywood Stories - Rick James Pt. 1|
2. CHARLIE MURPHY'S TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORIES: RICK JAMES (PART 1) This sketch became an iconic piece of work and was a pivotal moment for the show. It made Charlie Murphy a household name, and had everybody saying "I'm Rick James, BITCH!"
FAVORITE QUOTE(S) "He had this orange aura, I'm not kidding you, I seen it." "He's a habitual line stepper." "The one in the front, he had crooked eyes. One eye was looking at me, and the other was lookin' at Rick."
RELATED "True Hollywood Stories: Rick James (Part 2)" Darkness, dirty cowboy boots and cocaine (it's a hell of a drug).
|True Hollywood Stories - Prince|
1. CHARLIE MURPHY'S TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORIES: PRINCE "There's some great story tellers in the world we live in today. But who the fuck can make up THAT shit?" Charlie Murphy recalls the surreal experience of being taken to school on the basketball court in a shirts vs. blouses basketball game with Prince and The Revolution. And then they ate pancakes.
FAVORITE QUOTE(S) "Shoot the J...SHOOT IT" "Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka" "Game...Blouses"
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Houston.